It has been a while since I have posted anything on line - a wonderful overseas trip being my main excuse.
However recently I came across these good ideas about dining out but still eating well. It is all about not feeling guilty and making good choices.
So if you know you’re going to eat out at night, perhaps eat lighter during the day. Don’t starve yourself, or else you’ll be so starving that you’ll scoff down everything in sight. Be mindful during the day, and keep portions small and healthy.
8 tips for losing weight when dining out
1. When looking at the menu, choose what you want and stick to it. Think about what foods are worth indulging in or what aren’t. Best are simple protein dishes with vegetables,
2. Try sharing dishes. People tend to eat less when sharing a dish.
3. Watch the sauces: avoid cream and cheese based sauces, in fact anything white - choose tomato based dishes.
4. With cooking methods look out for words such as are grilled, poached, roasted and steamed. Avoid dishes which use the words fried, crispy, scalloped and battered. If you're not sure how something is cooked, don't be afraid to ask. Be careful of the hot chips - they really bump up the calories!
5. Order sauces on the side, only use enough to get the taste.
6. Order a glass of wine rather than a bottle and stick to one glass only. Wait for the food to come before you start drinking. Keep drinking water until the food arrives - a long wait can mean a surprising amount of wine. Avoid getting tipsy on a light stomach and forgetting about your well thought out intentions.
7. Fill up on vegetables and side salads. A side salad makes a very good entree.
8. For dessert, choose fruit based dishes, avoid cream. Split a dessert with a friend rather than having the whole thing. Order a tea with dessert, it will fill you up and keep your hands busy.
Different Cuisines and food types: here are your best choices.
Better: marinara, primavera, arrabiata, thin pizza bases
Worse: carbonara, parmagiana, garlic bread, thick base pizza and meat toppings
Better: sizzling dishes, seafood, boiled rice, hot and spicy dishes
Worse: spring rolls, fried rice, prawn crackers, crispy noodles
Better: masala, tikka, raita, chutney.
Worse: naan bread, korma, cream/coconut sauces
Better: stir fried seafood dishes, steamed rice, clear soups
Avoid: massamum curries, red curries, anything cream or coconut based
Lastly don't forget to enjoy your meal. Eat slow. Taste every mouthful!
Thank you to Elizabeth Pattalis from Natural Therapy Pages